Learning a new skill: Couponing
I am not one for couponing. However, I’ve decided that I need to learn; I mean, why wouldn’t I like to save more money on everyday shopping?
My biggest obstacle is remembering to bring coupons with me to the store. To help me, I purchased a holder to help me (I know, I know, I shouldn’t spend money on something like this, but I swear, it has helped!).¬† I purchased mine on Etsy, and it is called a mini-shopper.¬† It has a pocket for coupons, a pocket for a shopping list, and the spine is also a pocket for a pen.¬† I bought my mini-shopper from GetSassed.¬† I have finally used enough coupons to recover the cost of buying this coupon holder, so anything I save going forward is a true savings.
In order to find coupons, there are lots of options:
- Follow Thriftista on Twitter or Facebook for tips on special coupons and other giveaways
- Inboxdollars.com¬†(requires membership, but you can earn points in addition to saving through coupons)
- MyPoints.com¬†(requires membership, but you can earn points in addition to saving through coupons)
- Target.com¬†(they started a program to send coupons to cell phones)
- Dominicks.com (it also looks like you can electronically carry your coupons on your Fresh Values card– very nice!)
There are many more coupons available online, so whoever your local retailer is, you will likely find a coupon or two that can be used in that store.
- Write a list of what you need to buy
- Search for coupons for those items
- Only clip coupons for items you actually need to buy
- Don’t talk yourself into buying something because you have a coupon (this also applies to items that are on sale in any type of store)
- Print coupons and put them in a place where you will remember to bring them with you
- Stick to your list when shopping
- Remember to use your coupons at the store (this is another thing I have difficulty with)
I’ve heard that some areas have retailers that have double coupon days.¬† Chicago isn’t a city with retailers that do that (I think Eagle grocery stores were the last to do it).¬† For everyone else, the next time you are at the register, as the clerk if that store has a double coupon day.
If I missed anything, I’d appreciate commments from experienced couponers!