The Thriftista guide to Chicago street fests
We love Chicago street fests — all the food, live music, fun vendors and most of the city coming out to enjoy summertime.
A great listing of these fests is on our calendar, but we’d never leave you high and dry! Peruse our tips below for a thriftier, safe & healthy festing! And if you’ve more to share, add your comments.
- Bring a fest-friendly purse — usually one that is cross-body or a backpack that you don’t mind getting dirty.
- Comfy shoes — although this is against many girls’ idea of fun, several hours on stilettos will hobble you.
- Be sure to stock your bag with some essentials:
- Water/sports drink [why pay their prices? Even 7-11 is cheaper for this]
- Antibacterial hand wash/cream
- Blotting wipes [it gets hot out there!]
- Sunscreen is a must — unless you’re going at night.
- Bring cash! You don’t want to get caught paying outrageous ATM fees or standing in line.
- You might consider napkins and/or toilet paper [yes, they make mini rolls!] in case you’re stuck at a portapotty with no paper.
- Bring a granola bar or two in case your food options aren’t good.
- Always remember if a fest is on a city street, it is a suggested donation — and your Chicago tax dollars already paid for these services. Don’t feel bad if you pay less or nothing at all — I prefer to put money toward other charities [or another drink!].
Let us know your favorite tips & what fests you’re attending!